Saturday, September 17, 2011

True Relationships

Susan and I go for breakfast every Saturday at Compton's, a small breakfast place that many locals visit. Today, we were a little late and the waiting time was longer than I wanted to wait so we went to a new place down the street called Beverly's.
Susan ordered pancakes and the waiter was the son of Beverly and he told Susan that his mother spent 20 years perfecting the Pancake mix.(I would have liked Beverly)
When we left the restaurant, Beverely's son thanked us for coming to the restaurant and we thanked him for feeding us.

I thank every single patient that I treat at the end of the appointment for the trust that they place in me and for permitting me to take care of them. In turn, EVERY single patient thanks ME for taking care of them at a level that my colleagues tell me is among the best they have ever seen (See past posts of what other dentists say about my work.)

As I left the restaurant this morning I recognized that Beverly's son wanted to have a relationship with us. The basis of a relationship is that both parties have an interest in taking care of each other.

My relationship with my patients is that you trust me and pay me to take care of you which I am ethically bound to do and you appreciate me for taking care of you.

I love our relationship.