Sunday, December 25, 2011

How People Get to Know You

In Malcolm Glidwell's book, "The Tipping Point," the author writes about how certain people get to know other people, businesses and products because some individuals are really great at telling other folks about you and your product. Glidwell describes three types of people who will tell EVERYONE that they know about you and what you do and why you are so great; he calls them Mavens, Connectors or Salesman.
These people are extremely sincere and genuine in wanting other folks to learn about how wonderful their physician, dentist, banker or car salesman are and how they would benefit by changing to a particular physician or dentist.
We were invited to a friend's house for Christmas dinner and the only people that we knew among the 10 people were our hosts.When I was introduced to the other couples in attendance, my host told everyone that I was Dr. Benjamin the fabulous dentist that he had told them about in the past. And then my host preceded to tell everyone WHY I was such a wonderful dentist including the facts that I didn't hurt him while administering Novocaine and while he was being examined for the removal of his wisdom teeth the oral surgeon was unable to find any of his new resin bonded fillings.

I do a fair amount of marketing on the internet and local television which costs a significant amount of money. However THE BEST way to get new patients to try our practice is to have one of our existing patients talk to others about their exceptional experiences and the beautiful dentistry that they have in their mouths.
Mavens, connectors and salesman are just regular folks trying to help other people get great care and I could not pay them enough for all the wonderful things that they say about me and my staff.

I am truly honored when patients tell their friends and family about our practice.