Monday, December 26, 2011

The Meanings of Christmas

Christmas has many meanings depending on your beliefs. It is first and foremost, the representation of the birth of Christianity.For many of us, it is a time of kindess, generosity and philanthropy as a way of showing to others that we appreciate the creature comforts that we have in our lives.

On Christmas Eve morning, I treated a young man who broke his front tooth in a basketball game the previous night. My completed restoration perfectly matched the young man's adjacent tooth and it was indistinguishable from his natural teeth. As I completed my work, I told the young man that there would be no charge for me to fix his tooth but that I would appreciate it if his parents would make a contribution to Smile Train so that a young child could have his cleft lip repaired and feel normal again.

This young man is my office manager's nephew and I received the following email this evening:

"Thank you so much for restoring Patrick's tooth. His parents really
appreciated it. It was the talk of the holiday . They were impressed by
your kindness."

This is what it is all about. Doing for others to acknowledge what has been given to us.