Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Old Guys…This is How We Do It Because This Is How We Have Always Done It

There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about a board certified OB/GYN in Manhattan who treats men with pre-cancerous anal lesions.The American Board of OB/GYN believes that their members should only treat women even though the EXPERTS in cancer research and treatment of pre-cancerous lesions may be OB/GYN physicians.

The Times contacted the Executive Director of the American Board of OB/GYN, Dr. Larry C. Gilstrap  for his comment and he said:

The specialty of obstetrics and gynecology …was restricted to taking care of women …AND THAT'S THE WAY IT'S BEEN SINCE 1935." (My emphasis added)

My first response to Dr. Gilstrap's comment was : another old guy who wants to keep things the way they were because that's the way we have always done it. I decided to find out how old Dr. Gilstrap is and sure enough he is an old (70+) guy from Texas.

Old guys…politicians, physicians, dentists, lawyers want to keep things the way they were because they are EXPERTS in the way things were and unwilling to learn new things or do things in a new way.

The Dental School at SUNY/Buffalo is another example of the old guys not wanted to learn new things  (i.e. techniques that are more than TEN YEARS OLD)  because they will have to re-educate themselves to become experts and doing things in a new and better way FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR PATIENTS.

Trust me…I fight with myself everyday so that I don't become an OLD, old guy. I constantly am looking for and studying to find ways so that I can provide the best methods, techniques or materials   to take care of YOU.

I graduated dental school in 1977 and with the exception of using a rubber dam…there is NOTHING that I do today  that I was doing in 1977. You will never hear me say,"because that is the way we did it in 1977."