Saturday, May 9, 2015

My Shoulder

I go to my physical therapist 3 times a week and perform exercises everyday at home. Last Thursday my physical therapist described my recovery as 'impressive' which is not often heard from Tony DeMatteo. I  am about three weeks ahead of schedule and my performance at work is nothing short of remarkable.

Life outside the office remains painful and very limited. I can't put on or take off my lab coat or a sports coat. I can't turn the radio in the car on or off and I can't put on a tie by myself. The list is a lot longer but there is no point in boring you. I will be permanently disabled in that I never will be able to lift up my right arm over my head again...Fortunately, none of my physical issues affect my work or your dental treatment and for that, I am very grateful.

Life goes on and I certainly am very lucky following my launch into a wall by a handpiece hose that was laying on the floor unlike the other 5 hoses that were suspended in air and out of the way.

Many of my patients were nervous that I would not return to work and take an 'early' retirement...
Not a chance in hell. I truly believe that some of my best work will be done  in the last decade of my career. I would be very surprised and disappointed if this was not true.

PS: I am probably the oldest dentist in New York State that still works 5 days a week and my last vacation was 1986.