Tuesday, May 5, 2015

No More Updates

It has been a rather long recovery at least in my mind.

I fell on February 24. My consult at Hospital for Special Surgery was March 4 and my surgery for a Reverse Shoulder Replacement was the following day, March 5.

I don't do well with general anesthesia or pain meds and it takes a while for them to leave my system.   Pain meds have been limited to night time only and  I rarely take anything for pain despite the fact that it is hard to fall asleep with the pain.

I go to physical therapy three times a week and have done better than anyone who has had a Reverse Shoulder Replacement according to my physical therapists...No surprise there as I went to one of the best shoulder surgeons for my surgery.

Every day I get better, stronger and more flexible in using my arm...My dentistry is exactly at the same level as before my fall. What is not good is living a normal life. As per my physical therapist, "You will probably never lift your arm above your mouth again." That was a shocker. I can't put on a tie or a sports coat and can't change the radio station in my car. There are a lot of day to day things that I will never do again. And this does not make me happy.

I take consolation in the fact that I have returned to work to continue to take care of you...but of course that has always made me happy.