Friday, September 25, 2015

Twice This Week

For the first time in my long career, two patients came in to the office this week to have their 30+ year 4 unit bridges replaced. Most significantly, I placed those old bridges.

Why?

Because before I replace an old bridge, I send my patients to Root Canal Experts for a scan to make sure that the supporting teeth are healthy and without infection. And what do Dr. Byrne and Dr. Banchs tell me to do? Take off the bridge and see how MUCH decay is under the bridge.

Every very old filling, crown or bridge (20+ years) has tooth decay under the old restoration and the only question is 'How much?"

35% of the time, the one of the teeth is hopeless and requires extraction and replacement with an implant. The other 65% of the time, we can place a new filling, crown or bridge.

Why would anyone wait longer than A QUARTER OF A DECADE to have old work replaced?

Because the dentist doesn't tell them to replace the work.

I am telling you: REPLACE ALL of your old dentistry...even if you have to take 12-24 months to redo it.

It is ALWAYS less costly to be proactive rather than re-active when it comes to your health, your car or your house.