Sunday, September 6, 2015

What We Do for Ourselves, We Do for Each Other

You know that when I needed rotator cuff surgery, I selected Dr. David Altchek at Hospital for Special Surgery  (HSS) in New York City. Dr. Altchek is one of the top 5 sports medicine orthopedic surgeons in the country and the surgeon at times for the NY Yankees, the Mets and other sports teams. Rotator cuff surgery is sooooo routine today that it has become very easy for most surgeons performing this surgery. I didn't care...I wanted THE BEST surgeon; the one that never becomes complacent, the one whose fees justify his incredible skill and the one that takes care of million dollar ball players. I did the same for my knee and shoulder replacement when I hired Dr. Thomas Sculco, Chief of Surgery (at the time) at HSS and Dr. Lawrence Gulatto who performs the most reverse shoulder replacements at HSS.

When one of my young dental colleagues needed to have an implant near the front of her mouth, I referred her to Dr. Maurice Salama for her treatment. Dr. Salama in Atlanta, GA. is one of the finest implant surgeons in the world  and one of the few dentists that you go to when you absolutely, positively have to have the result that you want. Why did I do this?  Isn't the level of care available here in the Capital District? Perhaps...on a good day. But when you must have the result that you want, then we have relatively few choices and Dr. Salama was my best option.

Does Dr. Salama have high fees? Of course!!!! If he didn't charge what he was worth, he would become worth what he charged.  Does BMW charge more than Ford? You bet!!! And yet hundreds of thousands of Americans decide to buy (one of) the best.

So how did the treatment on my young dental colleague turn out??????

In a word: " Spectacular!"  Six hours in the chair, 8 staff members working with and on her.

This is how we do it.

 I will always try to help you get the best care that I can. It is what you pay me for. It is what you have come to expect...And it is what YOU deserve.

And what do I get from Dr. Salama? A simple thank you...as it should be.