Monday, September 7, 2015

You Are Old Therefore You Are Not Learning

There are many professionals (physicians, dentists and lawyers) who reach their mid 50s and actively or passively start coasting to the very end of their careers. Of course, they want to be paid more than ever because, they feel, they have 30 years of experience. That may be true but they are now performing at 50% of their former effort AND they have stopped actively learning. Much of their learning comes at the expense of their patient when treatment doesn't go well and they start to experience failures.

I just registered for a three day Dental XP course in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in February. Two of my young colleagues will be taking the course with me and we expect to learn a great deal.

I had a recent exchange on Dental XP with Maurice Salama, one of the finest implant surgeons in the country:

Maurice;
Without reflection and re-evaluation we would never move forward. Constant learning is the true sign of a professional.
There are very few cases that I would not change if given the opportunity.
Gerald; I never expected that I would learn so much right here on this FORUM that would alter my treatment for my patients each day. regards Maurice 


Between Maurice and I we probably have 60+ years of clinical experience but we are both still at the top of our respective games  and are still learning every day of our careers.

It should be of great comfort to those of you that are my patients and  read my blogs to learn that I want to continue to improve my knowledge and skill so that I can do a BETTER  job in taking care of YOU. 

Did you notice that neither Maurice nor I said a word about money...ie if we learn more, we can do more and charge more....NO WAY.