Monday, October 5, 2015

What Do Other Dentists Say About YOUR Dentist

Dental Forums are Social Media for Dentists which means that a lurker will find everything from the good, the bad and the ugly.

I have learned a lot about dentists as a group just by watching what they say to each other. What are some of the things that that I have observed by watching other dentists's comments:

1. Many dentists don't really enjoy being clinical dentists. The first dentist that I worked for in the Capital District who had been practicing for 7 years told me, "If there was anything else that I could do and make as much money, I would do it. I am bored." And my best friend, also a dentist told me many years ago, " You are the only one who likes being a dentist."

2. Dentists are notoriously cheap. They don't want to spend money on their practice and want to buy the cheapest materials or equipment.

3. As a group, dentists don't seem to like dental technology.

4. Dentists don't want to take a lot of expensive continuing education because it cost too much money and they lose money when they are not at the chair.

And then sometimes a top notch dentist will come to my defense when I am not accepting of mediocre dentistry. Recently a dentist said the following:


From: 
To: geraldben@msn.com;
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:07:17 -0400

In a very meticulously done equilibration where you end up with cuspid guidance and true clearance of posterior interferences, you’ll end up in the same place. The TekScan shows it very well and probably speeds it up. You may have a balancing interference that is not contributing to high EMG’s. Interesting research by Kerstein, that the working (group function ) interferences are the culprit more than the balancing interferences. Backwards of what I was taught. 
For most doctors who are not as meticulous as Gerald, the Tekscan and looking at the EMG’s will be more predictable. I don’t doubt that Gerald is ending up at the same place. Different ways of getting there. 

John  DDS
Clyde, NC
AACD Accredited Dentist
LVI Fellow
Diplomate, ICOI
Fellow, Misch Implant Institute


I am truly honored when a dentist who I respect makes an honest assessment of me and my work.