Monday, March 22, 2010

Doing the Right Thing for the Right Reason

I will tell you that ALL dentists earn much more money doing crowns than by placing beautiful, strong, tooth conserving direct bonded FILLINGS. This is a fact.
Why would I place 5 fillings when given the opportunity to do 5 crowns? Because it was not in the BEST interest of my patient. You see, my patient has severe dry mouth which means that she gets lots of new cavities and tooth decay around a new crown means the crowns must be replaced while tooth decay around a filling means that we can repair the filling.
I recently placed fillings for my patient with dry mouth instead of crowns and posted the case on the ACE forum for comments and criticism by my peers.
What did my peers say?

Outstanding service!
This is geriatric care @ its finest. This is text book quality care.
Heck, these patients are NOT in a situation, in which insurance dictates fees, & generates an absurdly low fee for direct restorative care. You are positioned to take the required time & effort, & generate a fantastic direct resin service

I am honored that my peers recognize that I place my patients best interest ahead of MY financial best interest.

But isn't this why I became a doctor?