Friday, March 19, 2010

Teaching and mentoring

During the last 18 years, I have dedicated my professional life to learning as much as I can and to that purpose, I have taken more than 2500 hours of continuing education and invested 2.5 million dollars. Spending money on one's hobby is easy to do.
For the last 5-10 years, I have been teaching and mentoring other dentists so that they can learn to take better care of their patients.Why would I do this and 'What's in it for me?' I do this because it is the right thing to do; I certainly have nothing to gain financially by helping my young colleagues. In fact, I have "complained" to one of my good friends and colleagues that by helping the other dentists, that I am giving away all of my "secrets" to which he responded:

Have no fear there is no one who can do what you do they would never take the time you do nor would they get the same results

That says it all. I help my young colleagues because it is the right thing to do and there is no risk to MY professional success because most dentists lack the love and passion for what they do.

Teach on!