Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"I Liked You Better Before You Knew Anything"

Yesterday was an interesting day in my Troy, NY office. I saw three patients that have been with me for 30 years...THIRTY YEARS!!!! None of the three would ever consider finding a new dentist to treat them.
A fair number of my patients have transferred to other local dentists over the years because they were seeking dentists that would participate in their insurance. These patients were looking for mediocre quality at a low price and there is nothing wrong with that if that is what you want.
I started studying my craft...I mean REALLY studying...in 1992 and one of my patients asked to speak with me privately in 1995 as he was heading off to another dentist. He told me that he was leaving my practice and ended the conversation with, " I liked you better before you knew anything."

He wanted a dumb dentist? Did he also want to be treated by a cardiologist who didn't know anything? Or have his brakes on his car fixed by an untrained mechanic?

Patients that have been my patient for decades have witnessed an incredible transformation in me, my staff and my office.

My interest in dentistry and my passion for dentistry have never waned. My concern for and dedication to my patients has been constant throughout my career.

Does it surprise me that I have patients that have been with me for 30 years??? Not at all. What does surprise me is how any patient could LEAVE our office.

And that surprise and hurt will always be there.