Monday, July 5, 2010

I Made a Mistake

I made a mistake last week. I forgot to send out a denture to the laboratory to be finished and therefore we had to cancel the patient's appointment last Monday afternoon. We told our patient that as soon as the denture was returned to our office that we would see her EVEN if it meant that I would return to my Troy office over the July 4th weekend. On Saturday at 11:30, I met my elderly patient at my Troy office to insert her new denture.

I made a mistake! I travelled a total of 80 miles to correct my error and tell the patient that I was sorry.

This is the way it used to be in a kinder and gentler America. If you made a mistake, you accepted responsibility for the mistake, you corrected the problem and you told the person that you were sorry.

Where did we go so wrong that few accept responsibility and apologize?