Monday, July 26, 2010

It is Telling

Tricia, my office manager,tells me that I should not brag so much. I tell her that I am from New York (City) and bragging is what kids would do in NY. My patients are very grateful for what I do for them and I am fortunate that they freely express their appreciation.

My local colleagues are very reserved in what they say about me and I understand that because dentists in the same geographic area tend to be very competetive. Dentists throughout the country have seen my work and do not feel challenged in the least to express themselves about my work. Our discussion on the ACE forum yesterday was about dentists who are bored or tired with the work that they do. I posted a comment that older dentists should only do the treatment options that they love to do which is what I have done for the last 10 years.

This is what a 68 year old dentist from GA, who I regard as a top clinician, wrote about me:

How can an old guy who loves what he’s doing NOT get excited. I haven’t felt the down turn many have and maybe that’s because I like to do so much stuff. Gerald is world class on restorative and could be on anything he wanted to but, hey, he can make a choice without declaring a specialty…and abide by it.

He also said: Now, I’m no Gerald Benjamin with direct composite but that was less than thirty minutes including the photography. If I could get Gerald’s fees for directs I could take longer.

I am so honored when my peers place me in the same group of dentists that I consider to be MY MENTORS. There is no confusion about the term "World Class." It does not mean that someone is THE BEST dentist but rather in that elite group that that my colleagues look up to and want to be like.

I love my work and all I have always wanted to do was take care of my patients in the best possible way. I am in awe when my peers consider me world class. It really is just another way of saying that I do, indeed take care of YOU, my patients in the best possible way.

Incredible to say the least. And I thank you for being or becoming my patient.