Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 18, 1976 9:30 pm

A very special night indeed. Special not because it was a happy night but it was the night that I found out that I was 'The Right Stuff."

Exactly 34 years to the minute, I was crushed between two cars and had my right leg amputated and reattached. My surgeon, Dr. Roger W. Seibel, was one of the few trauma surgeons in the country and I was most fortunate that he treated me. Dr. Seibel was 37 and had been a surgeon in Vietnam. Shortly after my surgery I told him that I wanted to be as good at what I was going to do (I was a senior in dental school) as he was at what he did.

Anyone that has suffered a significant traumtic injury will never be the same again. It will take years to recover from the wound and a lifetime of enduring and managing the chronic pain that is ever present. Some humans are not born with the ability to get past these injuries and can become addicted to pain medications and are not happy human beings. Others are fortunate enough to have the ability to get past their injuries and go on to accomplish wonderful things. I am lucky enough to be in the second group.

I barely survived the accident but I had the benefit of a great surgeon and the support of my family and friends. There is no doubt that my life would be much different had I not suffered my injury. I did learn of lot from my accident. I learned that I could be tested by life and still go on to be successful as a human being.

I would not have survived treatment by a mediocre surgeon and I definitely would not have my leg today. I learned first hand how important passion, talent, dedication and skill are.

I don't think that there are many Dr. Roger Seibel's around any more because mediocrity is in demand and excellence is not.

Thanks Dr. Seibel for being a fabulous surgeon and setting an example of excellence during my career. (Unfortunately, my hero and first mentor passed away in 2007.)