Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 24, 1971

Thirty nine years ago Susan and I were married in Niagara Falls, NY. We met in our junior year at SUNY/Buffalo. None of our parents went to college and we both grew up in families with a very limited budget. Our wedding was austere by today's standards but it was exactly what we wanted. I started dental school two years after we were married and it was an extremely challenging part of our lives in every respect. (One day I remember going to dental school with exactly a quarter to buy a cup of coffee.) My accident on July 18, 1976 when I was about to start my senior year did not make things any better as everyone could imagine. We celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary in the intensive care unit at the then EJ Meyer Hospital in Buffalo, NY.

As we sat in front of Starbucks this afternoon, we realized how few people who attended our wedding are still alive. We think that our parents would be very proud of the adults that we have become.

Susan and I think that we have done all right.

(Aside: Susan used to always joke that even if we got divorced, she always wanted ME as her dentist)