Friday, February 17, 2012

Charity

When we give something of value to someone or something that they cannot afford to do it for themselves, it must always be done for the right reason.

You know that repairing children's cleft lips and palates for children around the world (including the United States) is my favorite cause to receive my money and my favorite group to give money to is SMILE TRAIN. 100% of the money donated goes for the surgeries for the children and the founders of the group pay for all of the administrative and fund raising costs.

I don't give money because I get a tax right off in fact, I believe that the government should remain neutral in the tax treatment of charitable giving.We should give money because it is the right thing to do. My parents raised me to do the right thing and no one has to persuade my or reward me to give for the right reasons.

One of my patients has been in my practice for 30 years and about 15 years ago her husband left her and her young son. She went back to school to get her college degree and was taking her student teaching internship. One day she came to my office with a large piece of a lower molar broken off and asked me to fix her tooth. When I told her that could and would do that for her she stopped me and told me through her tears that she would be unable to pay me today but that she would do her best to pay the bill. I told her that there would be no bill for that days treatment because it was never my intention to take food out of a child's mouth.

No one has to MAKE me Do the Right Thing.I was raised knowing what the right thing to do is.

Most of us KNOW what the right thing is but that does not mean that we put that into practice.