Thursday, January 31, 2013

Another Mentor's Comments

I have told you that I have had several long time mentors whose careers,  material use and techniques that I try to emulate. My biggest disappointment is that I have not been able to surpass their abilities and results.

I was supposed to take a course in Chicago last September but the consults and prepatory workup for my knee replacement prevented me from attending the course. Unfortunately, my mentor usually gives the course in Chicago every other year and I would have to wait an extra year to study with him.

Two weeks ago, the director of the course personally called me and informed me that the world's best resin dentist had decided to return to the United States in October, 2013 and she wanted me to be the first to know and register for the course.

I sent my mentor an email expressing my excitement that he was returning to the United States and that I had already registered for his course. As is my way, I always send my mentors photos of a recent case so that they can follow my progress using their techniques.

I received the following email from him:

"That's fabulous news, Gerald! I am glad your knee is doing great and that we will see each other again at CEE.


What a fantastic Class VI case!! Are you sure you still have anything to learn from me?

All the best"

Needless to say, when the best resin dentist in the world doubts that he can teach me anything, it is a day to celebrate. I am truly honored and humbled by my mentor's comments.