Saturday, March 14, 2015

4:13 AM

The nature of traumatic injuries is that treatment is complex but healing is just as complex.

The title of this post "4:13 AM"  indicates the time that I am writing this blog because I can only sleep in short...2 hour...periods.  I have not slept through the night since February 24, the date of my accident.

I can't get comfortable to fall asleep and chronic pain makes it a certainty that I won't remain asleep.

I know that I am getting better because the exercises that the surgeon gave me are getting easier to perform.

I will get better and I will return to work...I have no doubts.

What my injury has done for me is to give me a very clear understanding of what retirement will be like...And I already hate it.

I have always been an avid reader of obituaries in The New York Times and I have paid particular attention to death notices of  long time practicing physicians and dentists. In every obit, the family of the physician made a point of saying how important his or her  patients were in the life of the doctor.

With little to do, life is becoming a little clearer for me.