Monday, March 23, 2015

No More Pretense

My foot  on my gravely injured leg from a car accident 38 years ago was swollen a few days ago so I thought that it would be wise to make sure that I had not developed a clot in my leg secondary to recent shoulder surgery. Fortunately, the swelling resolved itself without a diagnosis or further treatment.

I went to the oncall center associated with the hospital and when we entered the building there was a big sign which said, " Dear Customer" which made me so upset that I never read the rest of the sign.

Can you  imagine? The health care system no longer treats us as PATIENTS but just customers to sell us something.

I am sorry. I am offended by being called 'a customer' and I have good reason to feel this way.

When I was in dental school, I was taught that I was always to put my patient's best interest ahead of my own and that making money was secondary to taking care of my patient. I believe this with all my heart and soul.

I have always believed that the doctor/patient relationship is a sacred relationship and one of the few "special'" human relationships. It is not the same as husband/wife or parent/child but it right up there when someone asks  you to take care of them and then TRUSTS that you will do everything that you can to do just that.

Could I have been wrong for almost 40 years? Are you just my customer?
I am sorry...you will always be MY PATIENT until the day I stop doing this job.

I am offended and I hope that you are as well. Customers are a dime a dozen. Patients are special....at least to me.