Thursday, November 24, 2016

Standards of Excellence

A few days ago President Obama gave the Freedom Medal, the nation's highest civilian award to an incredible group of Americans. Each of them represented the best, most talented and most respected individuals in their respective fields. If you haven't seen the entire presentation which lasts about an hour, I suggest that you go to YOUTUBE to view it.

When the President presented the medal to Michael Jordon, he commented that it is often heard of a surgeon being referred to as "the Michael Jordon of Surgery."

Why?

Because Michael Jordon represents the absolute best at what he did...

Michael Jordon is THE STANDARD by which  all basketball players will be measured.

Who cares? And why is this important?

It is important because almost everything we see in America today involves lowering our standards or expectations so that we are not disappointed.

(Aside: Do you REALLY think that Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton represented the BEST that America has or did we settle?)

To me, STANDARDS matter.

Don't you think that I would just love to be called "the Michael Jordon of Dentistry?" It is not going to happen but I hope, dream and strive for that every single day that I treat a patient.

My new favorite saying is:

"If we lower our expectations sufficiently, everything becomes acceptable." *

Don't lower your standards. Seek Excellence. Yes it will cost more...but you are worth it.


* When I googled my favorite saying, I found reference to ME as the person that said it.