Sunday, August 29, 2010

Friends 1

One of my favorite restaurants is BFS, a Mediterranean oriented restaurant on Western Avenue, Albany,NY. As usually happens in small restaurants, the owner will take note of you and a friendly relationship ensues. On one our visits, the owner brings out his laptop and shows us his teenage daughter's official photographs that she uses to obtain acting roles in Manhattan and elsewhere. She is a gorgeous young lady with extremely small upper front teeth, which of course, catches my attention. I asked Shaw, the owner, if he and his daughter had some time in the next few weeks so that I could show them something to improve their daughter's appearance in her photographs and perhaps get some additional acting jobs. The next day, Shaw and his wife brought their 16 year old daughter up to my new office in Saratoga Springs for an evaluation. I performed a direct resin mockup on Lexi's teeth to show her how much more beautiful she would be if she had her gum tissue modified so that she would have bigger looking teeth. (Actually, her teeth were normal size but half of the length of her upper teeth were covered up by her gum tissue.)I had told Shaw that there would be NO CHARGE for the evaluation and that if they liked what they saw, I would refer them to the periodontist who does all my gum modifications, Dr. Collins. The family was overwhelmed by how grown up Lexi looked with bigger teeth and promised that they would call Dr. Collins the following week.

I made no money treating Lexi but I have dramatically improved her chances of getting acting jobs in the near future. Last night was the first time that I had seen Lexi with normal size teeth and she looked wonderful.

Isn't this what friends do for friends?