Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Sad Goodbyes

News travels fast. We made a decision that September 28 will be our last day in Cropseyville, NY. Yesterday an 82 year old patient that I have treated for the last 30 years stopped by to pick up her records and to 'say goodbye.' None of my patients who I have treated for 20-30 years can understand why I am leaving Cropseyville. No matter how many times I have tried to explain that there is not enough work in that office to keep that office open. It is a financial impossibility. As I have told you before, opening a new office in a location 40 miles from my previous practice at age 60 was an act of desperation. I felt that I was doing the very best work of my career and did not care to retire.

My long term patients feel that I am abandoning them and I know how they feel because I feel that many of my former patients abandoned ME.

Many of my patients who are in their late 70s and 80s do not feel that they are able to make the trip to Saratoga and I completely understand that.

When my secretary,Donna told me that Mrs. H was here to say goodbye, I said to Tricia that I hope that she would not cry when she spoke with me. She hugged me, thanked me and said, "You were the best dentist that I ever had...You never hurt me."

I am honored to have taken care of many of my patients during the last 30 years. Unfortunately, I need to keep my staff of 5 and I working...And that was no longer possible in Cropseyville.

It makes me as sad as Mrs. H.that I have to leave my professional home after 3 decades. It wasn't supposed to be this way. In fact, I know of no other dentist who has done what I am doing by starting a new practice at this stage of his career.

This is what makes life interesting.