Sunday, August 29, 2010

What My Patients Tell Their Friends

I was recently in ANOTHER of my favorite restaurants, a vegetarian restaurant and health food store that is a throw back to the 1970s. Dinner (no wine, self serve, strictly healthy) was about $13.00 for BOTH of us. We met a patient who was there to buy some take out vegetarian cooking and she met one of her friends there who was having dinner. My patient told me that she met a friend of hers who had broken the bonding on her lower front tooth and she immediately said, "Dr. Benjamin...he is the best...THE BEST. My patient was telling me this story and everyone in the small restaurant overheard what she had told me.

In the book, "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Glidewell, the author talks about "Connectors, Mavens and Salesman." These are the people who tell everyone about what is happening, which restaurants to patronize and which doctors are the best. They 'infect' others with their knowledge and enthusiasm for the betterment of a particular business but also for the betterment of the individual and the community. Don't you really want to KNOW who the best physician, dentist or restaurant is BEFORE you spend your money or have bad dentistry?

My patient told EVERYONE in the restaurant who the Best Dentist in town is. I am thrilled to know that it is ME (at least in her opinion.)