Saturday, June 16, 2012

Teacher/Mentor

In the 1950s, being a teacher was almost a spiritual calling and despite the fact that society did not financially reward teachers well, parents and children held teachers in the highest regards. Teachers were not only highly proficient at what they did but they were able to maintain order in the classroom so that one could hear a pin drop.

Those days are long gone and I really don't think that you want to hear my views on that subject. I do strongly believe that quality teacher/mentors are the lifeline to the next generation. I received the following email from one of the young dentists that I mentor:

"One of the best thing you have done in your life time is mentoring a student like me, because you have given a new life to your student, There is nothing more for a true teacher than this.

I am reaping many rewards at this stage of my career and they have little to do with my income. I have promised you that I will find another dentist to take care of you when I no longer can so I am working very hard to find the right person for you. Fortunately, I have a long time to find that individual.