Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Visit by the Dean

The Dean of SUNY/Bufallo  School of Medicine came to Saratoga Springs to introduce himself. It was our first meeting since he became the Dean four years ago. It was also an attempt to mend fences on his part. With the exception of a few lectures at the request of the  renown Dr. Carlos Munoz, my former Chairman, I have separated myself from the Dental School. When the previous Dean closed the first Esthetic Center within a Dental School (that Dr. Fred McIntyre and I conceptualized and started in the middle 1990s) after the 2007 school year, I withdrew my personal and financial support for the school. At the time, I was the fourth largest alumni contributor  to the school.

The Dean stated that he wanted to change the Dental School and that he wanted me to be part of that change.  Dental Schools like many institutions, universities and governments are incapable of major change and I let the Dean know that I really did not have any interest at this stage of my career to be part of a school that felt comfortable in teaching last centuries dental information.

I did tell the Dean that I would NOT return to the School as long as my title was Associate Clinical Professor (visiting). The "visiting" status is an insult and must be removed. He agreed to do that if  I consider returning to the school to teach and lecture on occasion. (Don't worry...I'm not leaving you.)

I do not believe in tenure or seniority, both which encourage laxity and reinforce the status quo. None of my patients give me tenure and some leave my practice with or without cause.

Time will tell how this will turn out.