Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Could Not Help Myself

As most of my blog readers know, I am committed to delivering excellence in dental care. This is NOT a statement that I am the best...far from it. I have told you that there are dentists far more talented than me on the national and international dental stage. Excellence is a  commitment to trying to do my best every minute of everyday that I treat patients.

I saw a patient on Friday for a diagnostic workup (impressions and other measurements) that allows me to study my patient's mouth prior to comprehensive or cosmetic dentistry. While talking  to my patient between several tasks my patient states: " I am NOT  interested in excellence." I was flabbergasted  and responded with: " I am sorry then, you are in the wrong office because I am committed to excellence."

I could not help myself. My response to my patient was a reflex and perhaps I should not have responded with those words.

My staff corrected me this week when I told a patient that there are 49 other dental practices in the area if they do not decide to have treatment in our office. There actually are 78 other dentists in our geographic area. If a patient wants excellence in dental care, I will do my best to deliver it. I am not GOD, I am NOT perfect but I will always do my very best to take care of you.