Friday, June 21, 2013

The Right Thing

Why do we do the right thing?
Because it is the Right Thing to Do. Nothing more. Is it redundant to say this when the answer to the question is THE QUESTION ITSELF?

We consulted with a college student and her Mother two years ago and I hadn't heard anything from the patient until last week when her Mother called and said that they wanted to proceed with treatment including the minor gum tissue surgery. I saw both of them on Monday to take an impression that I could use to create a surgical guide to give to Dr. Collins for the gum surgery. It took three hours, ending at 11PM ,to fabricate the surgical guide and at its completion, I recognized that the restorative option of veneers would not solve this beautiful lady's problem. Her solution was to correct the unesthetic results created by the orthodontic treatment by seeing a different highly qualified orthodontist  and not by cutting down this 20 year olds teeth to nothing. I was frustrated that I had worked the three hours to learn that my efforts would be for nothing.

On Wednesday morning, I called the Mother and explained that if her daughter was MY daughter, I would NOT place veneers on her teeth unless and until she had orthodontic therapy again. I do not believe in performing treatment on a patient when there is little benefit or value for the patient OR if the results end up leaving the patient in a worse situation, long term. I was very fortunate that the patient's Mother is very bright and understood exactly what I was trying to tell her. In closing the conversation, she said to me, "I want to thank you for your concern for my daughter and for your high ethical standards."

I happily gave up a $15,000 fee because it just was not THE RIGHT THING to go ahead with veneers. The reality is that BOTH the patient and I 'win.' The patient's teeth are not ruined and I can live with a clear conscience.