Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Commoditization of Medicine and Dentistry

I met one of our neighbors in the hallway this evening and because we are all older, we were discussing our knees, hips and shoulders. It always amazes me when people say or imply that all physicians or dentists are all  the same. In effect, they are saying that health care is a commodity which means that  it is all the same and that they will go to the people that accept their insurance, are close to home and are cheap.

Nothing could be further from either the truth or reality. None of the best physicians or dentists participate with insurance plans because they have a back log of people who are clamoring for their expertise.

When I initially called Dr. Alcheck at the Hospital for Special Surgery for a consultation for my rotator cuff repair, I was directed to speak with Harry, the patient concierge, who gave me a list of things that I needed to do (ie x-rays and an MRI) before Dr. Alcheck would even consider taking me on as a patient. Dr. Alcheck requested payment in full and then he would submit my insurance and I would be reimbursed by MY INSURANCE COMPANY.

When Dr. Sculco at Hospital for Special Surgery consulted with me for a total knee replacement, he told me that only after I took the necessary radiographs, scans and a physical would he schedule me for the surgery. And, by the way, my fee is $18,000 and it takes three months to get a surgical appointment.

The best ARE THE BEST because of their passion, skill and talent and they are so far superior to the average clinician that it is hard to believe that they do the same surgery.

When you think that all physicians and dentists are the same, think again. If you don't think about this, you may have regrets after your treatment.
All doctors are not the same.