Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mrs. Estabrooks

The Medical Confidentiality regulations expire on death so I can tell you about one of my patients that I have cared for for almost  4 decades.

Mrs. Estabrooks became our patient in 1978 or so. She lived close to Cropseyville, NY where my first office was located as did the vast majority of our earliest patients. She was a moderately well known local artist and showed her work around the area.

She was always a delight to treat and she trusted us implicitly to take care of her which is why she hadn't lost a tooth during the first almost 30 years that we took care of her.

My favorite Saturday night restaurant in Troy was the Italia as was Mrs. Estabrooks. Susan and I would see her and and another  artist friend dining at the Italia almost every time we ate there. Sometimes I would buy their dinner and sometimes I would just send over the dessert for both of them. I don't think that they budgeted in the desserts. lol

Mrs. Estabrooks actually became a friend and not 'just' a patient. Yes she could could be feisty at times when at the office but we all loved her over the long period of time that we cared for her.

When I moved to Saratoga Springs, Mrs. Estabrooks came with us even if she had to take a
'medical cab' or have her son, Frank bring her. In fact, I just saw her a few short weeks ago to fix a tooth.

I am honored to have cared for Mrs. Estabrooks for all these decades. She passed away last week at age 93...

Enjoy the rest of the trip, Mrs. Estabrooks. ( I could never call her 'Carolyn.')