Saturday, January 14, 2017

Top 100 Jobs in America

CNN and US News and World Reports recently published lists of the top 100 jobs in America.

All of us knows that the best job in America is probably an NFL quarterback preferably from Boston ($40 million) or the CEO of Aetna Insurance  (again ~$40 million) or perhaps the CEO of Facebook or Apple.

Instead, the media gives us a list of jobs that you and I can have like computer software writer or actuary...Let's not fool each other, most of us do not have one of the top jobs in America.

That said, I believe that I DO have one of the best jobs in the country. I know, I know, 70-80% of dentists don't love being a dentist..

I LOVE fixing teeth.

I really feel sorry for other dentists that hate what they do. I can understand why that is if I would put myself in their position:

1. The don't enjoy the trust and affection of their patients
2. They hate insurance companies telling them what to do and how much to charge
3. They don't like their staff because there is no loyalty on either side
4. The labs that make their crowns don't do a good job possibly because they dentist wants to pay as little to the lab as possible.
5. Their patients constantly cancel their appointments.

Fortunately, I don't have any of these problems.

I love being a dentist and would be a dentist again. If I could, I would place dentist at the top of either of the lists of best jobs...Please, don't you think that I believe my job is more fun and more rewarding than being an actuary?

Next time you want to find a new dentist, ask him or her if they LOVE being a dentist.