Monday, May 29, 2017

A Story That You Have Heard Before

To refresh your memory, I believe that the dental treatment that removes the least amount of natural tooth structure and yet lasts 15 + years is the best treatment for that tooth. That means that a well done direct bonded resin filling placed with a rubber dam is, in my opinion, THE BEST possible treatment especially when compared with a crown which removes ALL of the enamel and weakens the tooth dramatically.

Now remember that I have told you that in my office, a patient can have 3 1/2 resin bonded fillings for the cost of ONE crown. So if I was interested in earning the most amount of money, I would place CROWNS all day long...In reality, there are many days that all I do is well done resin bonded fillings.

Now the story:

We were in Charlotte over the Memorial Day Weekend and went to lunch with one of the other condo  owners. He is in his early 70s and retired so he enjoys spending a few hours with Susan and I. At lunch he related that he and his partner went to the ocean in South Carolina and while having lunch, he was chatting with the young waiter. "Where do you live?" my neighbor asks the young man. "Upstate NY," says the young man."  My neighbor tells the young man that he has a friend who is from  Upstate NY and asks him exactly where he lives. "Saratoga Springs" says the young man. What a coincidence my neighbor says  and asks, "Do you know Dr. Benjamin, a dentist in Saratoga Springs?"

"Oh yes, he is the dentist for wealthy people and I my family is middle class so we don't go to him."

I was shocked by the young man's response. I have probably taken care of more patients for 30+ years than any other dentist in the Capital District and NOT one of those patients could be described as wealthy. The overwhelming majority of my patients  throughout my career have ALWAYS been middle class.  Yes, the last few years I do have some very wealthy patients in my practice but that is the rare exception and not the rule.

Again, a dentist does not become very wealthy conserving natural tooth structure but does so by cutting down as many teeth for crowns as is possible  and ethical.

My goal is help you and  your family keep all of your teeth all of your life. It has never been about maximizing my income.  In fact, I have NEVER had a conversation with my staff about earning more money...It just doesn't interest me.

I feel bad that my reputation is that I only treat wealthy folks.