Thursday, May 11, 2017

Cost, Value and Caring

I saw a patient today that has been in my practice since 1998 and between that year and 2004, I restored her entire mouth. This patient was working with the State at the time and used one of the "State" Dental Clinics in Albany for her dental care. She was used to having 'constant care' which means that a filling was put in last year and replaced again next year. And I remember that she thought that I was expense by what the "State"Dentist Clinic charged.
Over these past 20 years, my patient has developed an understanding of what our practice is about: Providing the best possible care that we can and have our work last for as long as it can.

Several months ago, I diagnosed a small, new cavity on the root surface of a tooth that was not related or connected to any of the restorative dentistry that I had provided to this patient. On the day of the appointment to place a new filling, my patient said:

"You know, this is the first time in 15 YEARS that you have done any work for me."

FIFTEEN YEARS!!!!!!

Some people believe that our practice is  expensive but I have to ask you, "How expensive can our office be when you only pay for treatment (other than cleanings, x-rays and exams) ONCE every 15 years?"

I hate replacing my own work even when the work has lasted more than two decades. I truly believe that the longevity of our work combined with our care and concern for our patients is truly a great value.

Given the fact that I have 100s of patients that I have cared for for more than 30 years, many of you must agree with my staff and I.

As always, we thank you for being our patient and trusting us.

(Aside: I told Laura that I would write a blog about her)