Friday, May 26, 2017

False Equivalency

Most people assume that a physician is a physician and a dentist is a dentist. This is NOT in anyone's best interest and certainly not in the interest of someone that is desperate for good care.

I went to a fabulous small dinner party yesterday and met most of the people there for the first time. When the person sitting next to me realized that I was a dentist, she asked me my opinion about her cosmetic dentistry.

Am I a 'good' dentist? Am I 'good' at cosmetic dentistry? The person sitting next to me has no idea what quality of dentistry that I do and yet she feels that ANY ole dentist can offer a valid opinion about dentistry.

Why is this? You all know that I try to find the best physicians, surgeons and dentists to take care of ME. I would never ask a health professional an opinion unless I knew in advance that he or she was top notch in their area of treatment. I do not believe that a doctor is a doctor and never have.

YOU cannot get the best health care if you ask just anybody to take care of you. False equivalency  i.e. believing that all doctors are the same...can kill you.