Thursday, November 25, 2010

"Hospitals Make No Headway in Curbing Errors"

This is one of the stories on the front page of todays New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/health/research/25patient.html?_r=1&ref=health

How is this possible?

This problem is unlike untreatable cancer and it does have a solution. The problem is that no one wants to sit down and create fail safe standards, impliment the standards and enforce the rules.

Patients don't care...they just want it to cost less and therefore their is little effort to demand safer hospitals. Most of the mistakes are preventable according to the article.

One more thing that has fallen because we, as a country, are failing to pursue EXCELLENCE. Am I starting to sound like a broken record or a crotchety old man?

I apologize, but when I treat a patient I truly am trying to do my best to achieve the best possible outcome without harming you in any way.

Maybe hospitals need a lesson.