Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Most Honored Possession

When I was about 10 years old I was an incredible Yankee fan. I knew all the members of the team, their batting averages and how many errors they made...Not at all unusual for boys my age.

One day my Father came home with a baseball signed by my hero, Mickey Mantle. My Dad knew someone who knew someone and that is how I got the ball. For more than 50 years this baseball sat in my draw or in my safe never seeing the light of day.

After my Father passed away in 2002, my Mickey Mantle ball became less and less important to me and I made the decision to give the ball to one of our favorite patients. He and his children love the Yankees and I knew that my most honored possession would be well taken care of for eternity. Six months ago I gave him the ball and just asked him to take care of it.

Possessions and 'THINGS' are becoming less and less important to me as I get older.
I think this is just part of getting older...