Sunday, April 3, 2011

Education is Our Future

This is really going to be a great week! I will get to treat my patients for four days and then on Thursday evening, we will start our 2-3 year course using several different areas of dentistry to treat one patient. Starting this journey should be exhilarating for all involved.

On Friday, I will travel to SUNY/Buffalo to teach an all day course to the top senior dental students and some of the faculty. My job is to teach the students excellence because as my mentor, Dr. Fred McIntyre says, "If we don't TEACH our students EXCELLENCE, they will not KNOW excellence."

My goal will be to show my students that there are some dentists in private practice who pursue excellence and reject the status quo of mediocrity. The students believe that providing excellent dentistry is not possible in a private practice and that no one does that kind of work anyway.

I am hopeful that at least ONE dental student in the room will have a change of mind and make the commitment to pursue excellence. Why else would I give up my weekend and travel more than 600 miles?

To change ONE YOUNG MIND!