Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Knew It Would Happen

There is a front page story in today's New York Times about a 63 year old physician who is a family doctor in Maryland. He can't sell his medical practice or, for that matter, even GIVE it away.Why? Because the old time doctor is no longer valued or wanted. Young doctors don't want to work the 60-70 hours a week to take care of their patients like us old timers do. They want a paycheck and time off to be with their families...And who can blame them? Also, no one wants to pay a doctor to spend time with them listening to their concerns. Today's physicians spend minutes with their patient and send them for tests instead of listening....REALLY LISTENING, to their patients...

I know that I am also the last of the old time dentist who knows their patients, cares for them as people and will always do what is in their PATIENT'S BEST INTEREST.
I have a distinct advantage over most physicians in that dentistry is always invasive and has the distinct possibility of causing pain. My patients KNOW that I will do my very best not to cause them pain.

I went to dinner with one of the orthodontists that I send my patients to for braces and during the course of the evening he said, "You know that your patients really love you." I know that and it makes me extremely happy.

But someday this level of caring and concern will come to an end and dentistry will only be about making money and not taking care of our patients.

That is sickening!