Saturday, April 2, 2011

Groupon and Discounts

I must be honest and say that when a dentist participates with insurance companies or another discount program such as Groupon that you, the patient will suffer. The insurance company knows that it will not let you charge your usual fee and expects you to make up for that lost income by volume.
When someone works with their hands, how is it possible to see more patients? The answer is that shortcuts must be taken and quality must go down. My success rate in a year is 99+% which means that it is unlikely that you will have a problem with my work. If my success rate drops to 80% because I have to rush to see more patients, it means that you will have a problem with 20% of the work that I do for you.

Do you REALLY want to sit in my dental chair any more time so that I can fix something that I had to rush in the first place?

Not ME!!!!!!!! I want my dentist to do the treatment as well as he can the first time.

So when a patient calls and asks if I participate with insurance companies, they are literally asking to spend MORE time in the dental chair. Why would they want THAT?