Saturday, July 27, 2013

Not Just a Pretty Smile


Most patients and (sadly) most dentists, believe that 'cosmetic dentistry' is about placing porcelain or resin onto teeth to create a beautiful smile.

Sorry, that is completely WRONG!!!!!

The vast majority of patients that want a new and beautiful smile have very worn and chipped teeth.
My question to myself is:

 And how the hell did these teeth get to look so worn?

This means that I must play the role of a tooth detective and find out how and why the teeth look like they do. What is it in the bite and/or the position of the teeth that caused collisions between teeth and caused them to wear?

After I learn what happened to the teeth I must ask myself:

And how the hell am I going to change something in the bite to correct the problem that I discovered?

It is only through the process of discovery that we can come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan.

I have to be honest with you...the physical aspect of treating teeth, after 38 years, has become pretty easy for me.  I have the education, skills, and eye/brain/hand coordination to do beautiful dentistry.

The diagnosis and treatment planning  area of dentistry remains a challenge for everyone who cares about excellence.

This case involved orthodontics (we won't go there) extraordinarily beautiful bone reshaping by the very talented Dr. Perter  Collins (Troy, NY), fabulous porcelain work by Sherill at Northwest Esthetics Dental Lab in Bellevue, WA, and my diagnostic and clinical skills.

So you thought that beautiful dentistry was just placing porcelain on teeth?

(Aside: I posted these photos on Facebook and within minutes a dentist across the country wrote:

David wrote: "Never seen a case from you I didn't like, Gerald Benjamin! Good to see from you again."

It is always a great honor to receive positive critiques from a colleague)