Thursday, July 4, 2013

65 Isn't What It Used to Be

Susan and I met 45 years ago when we attended SUNY/Buffalo in the late 60s. We both grew up in lower middle class families where education was highly valued but money was scarce. You can say that our families lived paycheck to paycheck but the fact of the matter was that our parents paychecks did not last the entire 7 days. My Father would borrow $10 during the week and pay me back when he received his paycheck only to borrow the $10 again the following week.

Today is Susan's birthday  (65) and we took a short ride this morning and I asked her if she ever thought that we would have the life that we have.  She smiled and said, "Never."  Before Dental School, I was a high school teacher and Susan was a Child Protective Worker in Niagara County and we had more luxuries than our parents ever had. Luxuries meant that we could buy a pair of jeans when we wanted to and go out to a restaurant every Saturday evening, both were unthinkable when we were growing up.

Susan and I have both worked our entire lives and we continue to work.

I owe my success to every patient that I have every treated and I thank you for making me successful. My promise to every patient is that I will do the very best that I can to take care of you and to always put your best interest ahead of MY best interest. Just like I was trained to do.

I think that Susan looks pretty good  for her age.