Sunday, July 21, 2013

What Helen Thomas Said

You know that I love to read obituaries because I find out more about someone in their death notices than I knew about them when they were alive. In reading a full page story in today's New York Times about Helen Thomas who was the first woman selected to cover the White House spanning Presidents Kennedy to Obama there was a quote  by Ms. Thomas in which she said to a woman's group:


"I love my work, and I think that I was so lucky to pick a profession where it's a joy to go to work every day."

I feel exactly the same way about being a dentist. I just love to go to my office and fix teeth. It is never boring and always an exciting moment to see the final outcome of my work.

Confucius is often quoted as saying:

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I could not agree more.

Ask your dentist (or your physician, lawyer, accountant or auto mechanic for that matter) if they love their job and watch their reaction. And then start your search for people to take care of you that DO love their work.