Sunday, July 21, 2013

Supporting the Community (revisited)

A few weeks ago I blogged about the obligation of successful people to financially  support the community that they live in.

What I didn't tell you is how our office contributes  and the rational for donating.  It is worth saying that
contributions from my office are  100% money that my staff and I would take home in our paychecks if we did not give it to worthy causes. We are literally taking home less money so that we can help others.

So what do we donate money for?

1.  National Museum of Dance that provides intensive training to young children to teach them the value of hard work, passion, effort and self discipline

2.  Medical Missions for Children which repairs cleft lips and palates for children in the United States and around the world

3. A small community library in Grafton,NY  which is a village where my previous office was located

4. A golf tournament which raises money for suicide prevention and awareness

5.  A fund raiser undertaken by a girl's Soccer League for breast cancer prevention

6. A golf tournament to raise money for a local Catholic elementary  school in Saratoga

7.  SPAC

8.  A small choir in Saratoga

9.  Saratoga Hospital

(Aside: I personally donated almost $20,000 to advance dental education for my colleagues but this has nothing to do with donating to the community at large.)


Why do we make these contributions?  One of my patients personally asked me to do so.

Why do we do it?  It is the RIGHT THING TO DO.

How much has our office  donated: $16, 000 (first 6 months of 2013).
(Susan and I personally donate an equivalent amount outside of the office)

I thank all of  my readers who are my patients because if it were not for YOU, none of this would be possible.  These gifts are in your name and in appreciation for allowing our office to take care of you.

An aside: More people read my previous blog on the need for philanthropy than any any blog that I have ever written except for my blog on turning 65...Hence the reason for additional comments.