Sunday, July 21, 2013

Patients that Travel Hours for Treatment

We currently have 8 patients from the Manhattan/ Long Island area that travel to Saratoga Springs for their treatment. Manhattan literally  has a dentist on every corner but some have decided that they prefer to be treated in our office and/or Dr. Banchs and Byrne at Root Canal Experts.

I find this astounding. The studies show that the overwhelming number of people will not travel more than 5 miles from their homes to see a dentist and yet most of my patients travel much greater distances to come to our office.

On July 11 someone from the New York City Ballet called my office and asked if one of their principle  dancers could be seen to have a filling replaced. We agreed to see her at the end of my day on Thursday or first thing Friday morning. Thursday evening was not possible because the dancer was performing at SPAC that night but she would greatly appreciate the Friday morning appointment.

The dancer is a nationally recognized performer but we treated her like we would treat any of patients with the exception that we asked her what it was like to be a  top notch dancer while she was getting numb.  The other thing that she volunteered was that it was 'scary' to go to a dentist in Manhattan because the offices were dirty and the equipment old.

While she was paying Tricia for the appointment at the front desk she commented:

"Thank you for taking care of me. I know that I am in the right office."

I am thrilled that my patient recognized that I truly want to take care of her and it would not surprise me if she returned next year for treatment when the NYC Ballet performs at SPAC.

I also take care of my brother in law who flies up from Huntsville, Alabama for  his dental cares.  (He does have cleanings done at home.) He made two trips from his home for this round of dental treatment.  As you would imagine, I do not charge our families for  their treatment but it cost Gary far more money  to have his 'free' dentistry done in our office than if he remained at home for care when you consider the cost of two round trip airline tickets  and other costs associated with traveling.

So why do people make such great efforts to have treatment in our office?  I believe that patients think that we care more about them than the dentists that they previously visited.

I am honored that people know that taking care of you is my passion and my life and I will continue to give you the best dentistry that I am capable of doing. Your great efforts demand MY great efforts.

Thank you for being my patient.


(Aside: Dr. Francisco Banchs reminds me that it is time to blog when a few days go by without my comments. Thanks Francisco for keeping me on my toes.)