Friday, June 25, 2010

I am Losing Hope

Six or so years ago I placed 10 veneers on a young lady who earns her living with her appearance. I obtained fabulous results and I and others consider it among the best work that I have ever done.

I received an email this evening from this young lady informing me that her father has a friend who is a dentist and he has offered to place veneers on her lower teeth for 'free' and what did I think of this. My first response was to ask myself whether this young lady had learned anything from the approach, treatment and results that I had obtained for her when treating her upper teeth.

My second response was to go on the internet and look up the dentist that my patient had given me. It was no surprise to me that the dentist had NO website, No photos of his work, No published articles, No university affiliations...NOTHING could be found about this dentist that would give me any confidence that he was competent (minimally acceptable) or proficient (extremely well trained and accomplished) in the area of esthetic dentistry.

But he would do the work for FREE!!!!!!!!!

There are several cliches that come to mind:
You get what you pay for.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

When my patient has had fabulous treatment in the past, why would she be willing to place her teeth at risk with a stranger that she knows nothing about?

Her 'free' veneers could end up costing her a lot.