Saturday, June 12, 2010

'Stranger In My Own Hometown"

I just heard George Boone Blues Band on Broadway in Saratoga Springs. This weekend is SaratogaArtFest and bands played all day opposite Borders Books.
George Boone is a world class Blues Guitarist who grew up in the Albany/Schenectady area. "Stranger In My Own Hometown was the first CD that George Boone ever recorded despite the fact that he is recognized around the world as being one of the best at what he does.

The Capital District of New York has some extremely talented citizens who have attained national and international fame but remain completely unknown in the geographic area where they live.
My good friend Francisco Banchs is recognized throughout the world in the field of Root Canal Therapy and yet he is a complete unknown even to most dentists in the Capital District..How can this be?

In 1999, I won the most prestigious clinical contest in dentistry, The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry Smile Contest. The dentist from rural Cropseyville, NY beat dentists from New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle and yet it took the local paper, the Troy Record SIX MONTHS to print a story about me. And the overwhelming majority of dentists in the Capital District never heard of me or the contest.

George Boone was correct to call his debut CD, "Stranger In My Own Hometown." I certainly know how he feels. Perhaps this says something about our community that excellence is not important...I will have to ponder this.