Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Challenges of Small Businesses

This is a wonderful time of the year because I get to sit down with some of my friends who operate small businesses for our seasonal dinner.

Our Government has always told us that "Small busness is the backbone of the country." If this is true, then we are in terrible shape because both of the people that I had dinner with are barely able to hang on despite the fact that they are EXCELLENT at what they do, are caring, ethical and honest. As you know, I failed in my Troy, NY location after 31 years because many of the folks living around my old office did not have an appreciation of fabulous dentistry and I found it necessary to move my office to a more hospitable location. My friends are in their 50's and have been in business for more than 25 years. Both are great guys and are supurb at what they do... Apparently, it no longer matters as the creme doesn't rise to the top as we were brought up to believe.

I can't believe that my friends are teetering on the edge of survival. I must tell you that if price is the ONLY thing that matters, your children and grandchildren are not going to do as well as we have.

Every day physicians and dentists are closing their offices because they refuse to treat their patients with disrespect and not care about them. Insurance companies make it impossible for them to run a business and take care of their patients with dignity and respect.

Who is going to take care of us when we get sick or have a dental infection. Perhaps the secretary at your insurance company can help you.