Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"What Are We Going to Do About My Wife?"

I saw one of my favorite patients yesterday. He an an 84 year old man who has been my patient almost 30 years and he hasn't lost a tooth since I started treating him. I was thrilled that he was able to make the trip to our new office. When I went out to the waiting room to greet Mr. F and to thank him for making the trip to Saratoga, he said to me, "And what are we going to do about my wife?" I was a little stunned at first by the question and then he continued, "She can't make the trip up here and what happens if she has a problem with her teeth. Mrs. F has been in a nursing home for a few years and on several occasions, I have made the trip to change implant attachments or adjust her dentures. I told Mr. F that he needn't worry because any time his wife has a problem, I would make a trip to the nursing home.
My statement was met with tears.

Did Mr. F really think that I would abandon his wife after 30 years? No way!
I have been dedicated to taking care of my patients for almost 35 years and while my office location has changed, my dedication to you, my patient is the same as the day that I opened my practice. Just like it is supposed to be!