Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Don't Just Blog

When I was a little kid I would write letters of complaint to the editor, letters to manufacturers and letters to politicians. When I was older, I went to college and was a history major which gave me many opportunities to write 30 page papers on 25 year old standard typewriters without self correction capabilities.(Ok I am old lol)
[I took 44 hours of math and science and 44 hours of history so that I could meet the prerequisites to get into dental school.]
As you can see from my blog, I like to write and am not afraid to express my opinions. There was an opinion column in today's New York Times in which the writer took objection to Governor Rendell's (Pennsylvnia) comments that we are becoming a bunch of wusses as a country and the Chinese are going to easily over take the United States. Speciifically, he was speaking about the cancellation on Sunday of an NFL game because of the snow storm and the postponing of the game was representative of what has become of our country.

I entered my comments on the New York Times blog section under the article:

"If things were going well in America, we would not be having this conversation and this column would not have been written. There is no doubt that we are no longer a nation of hard working, competent, resilient people. We can no longer discipline our children with a cold stare that made children stop in their tracks.
Things are not going well for us but there is no one to blame and that is what probably infuriates many.
More than 50 years ago, we would shovel the snow off of school yard basketball courts in Queens and play for 5 hours or until our fingers split open from the cold.
We were not wusses back then and the Governor is correct when he says that we are not what we used to be."

To my surprise, the moderated blog accepted and published my post and 52 folks who read my comments said that they enjoyed it.

Don't worry...I would never give up my first love, dentistry, to become a writer.